Providence University Archives

大事記

1906
蓋夏姆姆加入美國印地安那州聖瑪利森林的主顧修女會。

Mother Marie Gratia Luking (1885-1964) entered the Congregation of the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, U.S.A.
1920
蓋夏姆姆與另外五位主顧修女會修女抵華,並開始她們的教育生涯。

Mother Marie Gratia was commissioned to lead the first group of Sisters of Providence to Kaifeng, Honan Province, China, to begin their work of education.
1921
於河南開封創辦華美女子中小學。

Mother Marie Gratia founded Hua-Mei Girls’ Elementary and High School in Kaifeng City, Honan Province.
1932
於河南開封創辦靜宜女中。

Mother Marie Gratia established Ching-Yi Girls’ High School in Kaifeng.
1937
中日戰爭爆發,所有學校被迫關閉。蓋夏姆姆帶領所屬修女參加救護傷兵工作,並開放靜宜校園收容難民,提供醫療與照顧。

Because of the Japanese bombing, all schools were closed. Mother Marie Gratia and the Sisters gave medical services and offered the use of the campus for refugees.
1948
蓋夏姆姆來到台灣,開始積極投入復校的事宜;次年在台中市自由路開辦「天主教英語學校」。

Mother Marie Gratia Luking came to Taiwan and began in earnest to devote herself to education by establishing Providence School on Zi-You Road in Taichung in 1949.
1954
學校遷移至台中市復興路新校園。

The school was moved to a new campus on Fuhsing Road.
1956
正式向教育部立案成立「靜宜女子英語專科學校」。

The institution was accredited by the Ministry of Education and was renamed: Providence English College.
1962
靜宜女子英專獲准改制為「靜宜女子文理學院」並設立夜間部。

The school was made a four-year college with an evening school, and was renamed: Providence College of Arts and Sciences.
1987
本校遷至台中縣沙鹿鎮現址,以符合成立大學之條件。

The college was relocated on its present site in Shalu, Taichung County, in order to meet the requirements needed for university status.
1989
本校改制大學,並改名為「靜宜女子大學」。

The college was granted university status and thus was renamed Providence University.
1993
本校招生開始兼收男生,改名「靜宜大學」。

Providence University became a co-educational institution.